Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Being Consistent

It's common for many of us to eat healthy during the week only to go a little nuts on the weekend. This has been my issue for some time now and I think I have developed enough discipline so it doesn't affect me as much. Does that mean you can't ever enjoy your favorite foods? Of course  not. Building your indulgence into your diet and planning for them allows you to enjoy the things you love without completely blowing your diet.

Being consistent doesn't mean you have to robotically follow the same diet day after day. Here is what I do and it helps me to remain on track.

* Plan a cheat meal rather than a cheat day. Giving yourself an entire day to eat what you want can lead to OVERINDULGENCE that might show on your on your waistline. Instead, plan on having something you enjoy once a week. Have a pizza night or go out for burgers. Enjoy yourself and stay on track for the rest of the day.

Now I have done this and it helps me to still be able to enjoy my favorite meal without over eating through the whole day!!

* Work treats into your diet. Some people find having a small indulgence each day, like a piece of chocolate or a handful of chips, keeps them satisfied and allows them to choose healthy options the rest of the time.

* Have a plan of attack. The single most important thing you do when eating healthy is being prepared. That means having healthy foods around so you're not tempted to run out for fast food. This is why I have my SNACK BAGS with me at all times.

* Keep things balanced. Watching your calories and eating healthy is important, but so is enjoying life and not obsessing about everything we eat. We all have to find the right balance. 

* Don't give up. There will come a day when you eat too much cake or have the one extra piece of chicken you shouldn't have. We all overindulge at times but many of us use that as an excuse to quit and go back to old, unhealthy behaviors. One mistake isn't the end of the world and, even if you've really fallen off the wagon, you can always get right back on track by simply making the decision to not give up.

Remember this doesn't happen over night. You will have your moments when you fall off track and yes I have plenty of times because I am human. But you know what, I just dusted myself off and got back on track and started over. I knew I had a goal to reach and without support from my family and believing in myself I wouldn't have made it.

~Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment