Wednesday, February 13, 2013

To Eat or Not To Eat?

Good Morning....

For the most part I will be posting first thing in the morning before I get my work day started. Some of my friends have been asking me to post somethings about breakfast foods. I have a good friend of mine who is health blogger and he advised that I share this with you all. So here are some of the items you should avoid. 


Starbucks Blueberry Scone
460 calories
22 g fat
61 g carbs

Just because it has blueberries in it doesn't mean this breakfast bread is healthy. In fact, scones and other quick breads come loaded with so much butter and cream that their saturated fat counts are anything but. Here, this "light" morning snack accounts for more than half of your day's suggested saturated fat intake.

Instead try and eat this:

Starbucks Egg White Spinach & Feta Wrap which has only 390 calories, 10 g fat, 28 g protein and 6 g fiber. 


Panera Grilled Bacon, Egg and Cheese

510 calories
25 g fat
43 g carbs

Even with the fatty strips of bacon, this sandwich really shouldn't be that bad. So what's the culprit? The bread. Besides the Power Sandwich, all of Panera's breakfast sandwiches come on either thick pieces of ciabatta or doughy bagels. These can add anywhere from 230-350 calories per sandwich. Compare that with the relatively modest 150 calories provided by the Power Sandwich's whole-grain miche and the choice is clear.

Instead try this: Pannera Breakfast Power Sandwich with an Apple which has 420 calories and 15 g fat!!!


McDonald's Sausage, Egg and Cheese McGriddles

560 calories
32 g fat
48 g carbs

This McGriddle is the perfect example of what can go wrong when you pick up a quick-and-easy breakfast. For its modest size, it packs way too many calories while also providing 60 percent of your day's saturated fat and over half of your recommended daily intake of sodium. The old mantra holds true: Big things really do come in small packages.

When it comes to McDonald's I wouldn't suggest anything in this replacement. Avoid this altogether in my opinion. LOL!!!

To be honest if you have a hectic job like myself it's best to just pack your own breakfast. Now when I'm on day work hours my squad typically goes out to eat every morning for breakfast. If do decide to eat I always get oatmeal with fruit on the side. Remember when you pack your own food not only are you saving money but you are one step closer to your goal. At times it may seem like you can't see the light at the end of the tunnel but trust me...you are!!!


~Wendy


No comments:

Post a Comment