Thursday, February 21, 2013

Meal Planning & Shopping: How To Make a Grocery List

Okay. You all may wonder why is she blogging about grocery shopping? I thought I was doing something when I went to the market and grabbed the items that I needed, but after starting this journey back in 2009 I quickly learned that I didn't know as much as I thought I did. A shopping list list can simply include fresh foods and ready-to-eat snacks, along with additional ingredients you'll need for upcoming meals. Some foods will need to be replenished every few days and others might last longer.

What foods go on the list? For starters vegetables and fruits should make up the largest part of your grocery list. They're rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber and are usually low in calories. Choose a variety of green, orange, red, and yellow fruits and vegetables. I know fresh fruit and veggies can be a little on the expensive side but you have some farmer markets that are all-year round, and try and grab items that are in season.

Most of your grain and cereal products should be made from WHOLE GRAINS, not from refined flours. This part of your list includes 100-percent whole grains breads, pasta, and breakfast cereals. Please read the labels and check the ingredients before you purchase anything pertaining to whole grains.

Your protein and meat choices should consist mostly of fresh fish, poultry, and lean meats. Eggs, nuts, and seeds are also good protein choices. Avoid breaded, deep-fried convenience foods that you put in the oven. They are high in fat and sodium. (Stay away from Murray's products!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Keep beverages simple. Water, low-fat milk, juices and herbal teas are all good choices. 

Diary products should include low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese. If you do not want cows' milk, choose soy and rice beverages or goat milk and cheese. 

Be careful with dressings, cooking oils, and condiments. They are sneaky sources or refined sugar and poor quality oils. Read labels to choose dressings made with olive oil, canola oil or walnut oil.Choose low-fay mayo for your sandwiches and choose canola oil and olive oil for cooking.

When it comes to frozen foods avoid pizza, pocket-sandwiches, deep-fried appetizers and breaded foods.

Foods in cans and jars are also convenient. Look for low-sodium soups, vegetables and sauces. Avoid high-fat gravies and high-calorie foods like canned spaghetti and ravioli products.

When it comes to lunch meats please avoid processed lunch meats, sausages and hot dogs. I know everyone loves hot dogs especially me if its cooked on the grill but its all on the amount that you eat. 

Now in 2013 I can say that it takes me a while to go grocery shopping because I read everything that I put inside of my cart. Before if it was on sale or the price was right I would grab it. Nowadays it's all about healthy living and making sure I put the right things inside of my body. Remember an extra 5min to glance at the food labels could make a difference in your weight loss!!!


~Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment